NYC Fall Preview – Part I: Museums
This autumn heavyweights Magritte, Balthus, Vermeer, Rembrant and Da Vinci as well as contemporary artists Chris Burden, Robert Indiana, Robert Motherwell and Isaac Julien are all coming to New York City!
Magritte, The Mystery of the Ordinary
Magritte was a pivotal artist of the 1920s and 1930s, aiming to create paintings that would “challenge the real world.” His work test visual conceptions of space, time and consciousness. The show includes eighty paintings, collages, and objects alongside photographs and periodicals based on the Surrealist’s life. On view atMoMA from September 28, 2013–January 12, 2014.
Chris Burden Extreme Measures
Burden’s sculptures and installations explore the physical and moral boundaries of objects and bodies. The retrospective will occupy all five floors of the museum. On view at the New Museumfrom October 2, 2013–January 12, 2014
Balthus: Cats and Girls- Paintings and Provocations
Balthus is marked by his series of paintings of “pensive adolescents,” the most notable model being Therese Blanchard, his teenage neighbor who nonchalantly posed with her cat. His work was highly controversial in the 20th century due to his erotic depictions of young girls and subsequent marriage to one. This is the first time in thirty years his work will be shown in the United States. On view at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from September 25, 2013–January 12, 2014.
Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Hals: Masterpieces of Dutch Painting from the Mauritshuis
Get your tickets early for this time-ticketed exhibition. Art lovers from near and far will flock to see “The Girl With the Pearl Earring,” Vermeer’s 1665 masterpiece which inspired a bestselling novel and film. Also on display will be works by Rembrant, Hans and other Dutch masters. On view at the Frick from October 22, 2013–January 19, 2014.
Also be sure to check out:
- Robert Motherwell: Early Collages, is a collection of his 1940s patchwork works on paper. On view at the Guggenheim. from September 27, 2013–January 5, 2014.
-Isaac Julien: Ten Thousand Waves is a series of ethereal film installations that interweave contemporary Chinese tragedies with ancient myth. On view at MoMA from November 25, 2013–February 17, 2014.
-The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, the first international exhibition dedicated to the couturist, features 140 ensembles from his collection. On view at the Brooklyn Museum from October 25, 2013–February 23, 2014.
-Leonardo da Vinci: Treasures from the Biblioteca Reale, Turin, features a selection of works on paper. On view at the Morgan Museum and Library from October 25, 2013–February 2, 2014.
-Robert Indiana: Beyond Love, will showcase the pop artist, famed for his large word installations. On view at the Whitney Museum from September 26, 2013–January 5, 2014.
- newfoundremedy likes this
- oh-my-gouache likes this
- throughthelookingvase reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- marianawitch reblogged this from morphinee-queen
- faithisnotproof reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- traveling-riversideblues reblogged this from breakmyheartonsunnydays
- fiercewithreality likes this
- motheatenmusicalbrocade likes this
- taytertotface reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- morphinee-queen reblogged this from breakmyheartonsunnydays
- breakmyheartonsunnydays reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- myageagain likes this
- ffe4e-1 likes this
- motelmercedes reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- mysleeplessreply likes this
- killme-likeyou-loveme reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- killme-likeyou-loveme likes this
- magentabitch likes this
- deranged-fupa reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- potatofart likes this
- katievalerio likes this
- hirammat likes this
- batinlinda reblogged this from artlog
- sonoftherifleman likes this
- msslfdstrct likes this
- charsofglass likes this
- electrontransfer reblogged this from slcvisualresources
- ashamoonraven likes this
- madkayyy likes this
- quotumbler likes this
- slcvisualresources reblogged this from artlog
- dibujemodelo likes this
- lulukitty likes this
- unidentified-random-organism likes this
- vfair reblogged this from artlog
- drisman likes this
- quellepetiteartiste likes this
- my1universe likes this
- finitelemons reblogged this from artlog
- beneath-a-lonely-place likes this
- bourboncakes likes this
- paisagens likes this
- allisprettierwithyou reblogged this from artlog
- katskoffeeskameras likes this
- boiled-milksteak likes this
- yatzurainukai reblogged this from artlog
- yatzurainukai likes this
- foolborngrime likes this
- webeautifull likes this